We invite you to partner with the Lumber Heritage Region (LHR) and the PA Wilds Center for Entrepreneurship, Inc. (PA Wilds Center) for projects throughout the region that support the LHR Management Action Plan and the PA Wilds Planning Study
Funding for the Lumber Heritage Region/PA Wilds Center 2017 Mini-Grant Program is provided through the PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) Bureau of Recreation and Conservation (BRC) and therefore must adhere to all statewide rules and regulations. Eligible applicants for the program would include non-profit 501(c)3 organizations, municipalities, COG’s, Conservation Districts, Educational Institutions, and Housing and Redevelopment Authorities. The project must be located within the boundaries of the Lumber Heritage Region/Pennsylvania Wilds Region.
The type of grants considered will be projects that implement recommendations of the LHR Management Action Plan, the PA Wilds Planning Team Strategic Plan and the Pennsylvania Wilds Design Guide for Community Character Stewardship or strategic priorities outlined below. Highest priority will be given to projects focusing on the use of technology in promoting the heritage of the area. Eligible project activities would include but not limited to:
- Educational pieces that promote the forest products industry and the heritage of the region.
- Media pieces that highlight the history, heritage, and/or recreational opportunities in the region.
- Packaged itineraries and products associated with those itineraries.
- Elements from existing plans including but not limited to trails, watershed, greenway or heritage community plans.
- Projects that lead to more woods-related craftspeople joining The Wilds Cooperative of PA network (artisan wood workers, maple producers – learn more at www.pawildsartisans.com);
- Projects that create short high-quality videos (up to 2 minutes) about one or more lumber assets in the region that can be used on the regional visitor site pawilds.com and LHR’s website (as well as for the applicant’s uses); or short videos that help tell the story that the Wilds is a working forest and highlights the high performance sustainable forestry practices being done here.
- Projects that create high-quality digital stories (pictures and copy) about the region’s lumber assets (brick and mortar, events, history, artisan woodworkers in The Wilds Cooperative of PA) that can be used for pawilds.com, LHR’s website, both organization’s social media channels, as well as for the applicant’s uses.
- Projects that promote use of or principles in the PA Wilds Design Guide for Community Character Stewardship.
LHR and PA Wilds Center in partnership with DCNR have funding available to support projects totaling $ 60,000 with a maximum award of $5,000. Funds must be expended by May 1, 2018.
Please note: DCNR will have the opportunity to review and approve all grant requests.
Application Instructions and Details
Thinking of Applying? See our Mini-Grant Checklist!
All projects/deliverables must acknowledge Environmental Stewardship Funding by including the following citation: “This project is financed by a grant from the Community Conservation Partnership Program, Environmental Stewardship Fund, under the administration of the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Bureau of Recreation and Conservation.”
Important things to consider when applying for the 2017 Grant Round
- Each award will include an LHR Administrative fee of $ 250.00 for the costs associated with the management and processing of the grant funds.
- A dollar-for-dollar cash match will be required. Matching funds can be local funds, other state (not DCNR) or federal grant funds. In-kind is important for any project but is not considered match for this grant round.
This is a “reimbursement” grant. As the sub-grantee you will be responsible for all payments up front. Once complete LHR/PA Wilds Center will require the following support paperwork for payment of your grant award:
- Copies of all invoices and proof of payment (no costs can be incurred prior to 5/1/2017).
- Documentation of all match dollars received and spent on the project.
- Digital pictures with write up documenting the deliverables and outcomes of the project.
All publicity/media announcements regarding the project should include references to funding through LHR, PA Wilds Center and DCNR.
Timing for the 2017 grant program is as follows:
- Grant announcement – May 1, 2017
- Submission of the Application – On or before 4:00pm December 15, 2017
- Project completed and funds expended by – May 1, 2018